Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pregnancy dreams

Last night I dreamed I was staying at a beach resort (I know, I know, what would be the point?). The beach was visible from above from the windows of the resort, and you could see these ENORMOUS sharks swimming quite near the tourists. Enormous, like thirty feet long. Now, I live in the land of real sharks. The only actual shark that's that big (as far as I know) is the completely harmless (unless you are a krill) whale shark. But it was kind of anxiety-provoking, seeing them dart in and out, whitish-green in the tropical water. Then I went down to the beach just in time to see one guy get EATEN by a shark. The shark breached out of the water like a humpback whale bubble-net fishing, with the half-chomped body in its mouth, and then subsided into bloodied waters.

I think my subconscious is just lining up the anxieties in preparation for parenthood.

3 comments:

Natalia said...

Kristeva ahoy.

Tommy said...

The most interesting datum from our readings during pregnancy was that those who had the most traumatic dreams about childbirth tended to have less difficult births and vice versa.

Mame said...

When I was pregnant with my first child I had a very vivid dream that I was having a cow! In the wonderful way of inappropriate affect, I was merely puzzled.