Monday, February 8, 2010

Manual dexterity

I've lost a degree of fine-motor control in my hands due to pregnancy-related issues (all totally normal swelling and carpal-tunnel stuff) and I was afraid I couldn't work this fine lace crochet any more. I've certainly begun making ridiculous typing errors because my fingers aren't as dexterous as they used to be, and I drop things all the time. I was actually looking through Ravelry patterns for chunky baby blankets and other easy knits because I thought I'd be better able to do the work. But today I hauled out the tallit project and found I can still do lace crochet, with some modifications of my technique. Here's the latest view, about 65% done.

tallit_progress7_keystoned

Now I'm sorry I lost two months' worth of work in December and January, though with all the moving chaos I'm not sure I could have gotten anything done anyhow.

2 comments:

atlanticmo said...

Do you think you can finish it in the next couple of months?

SEB said...

No, I don't think I can. I had hoped to have it done by the time the babies come, but that was counting on pre-pregnancy energy levels, which I certainly don't have any more.

I did, however, once comment to a colleague, about a year ago, early in the process of making this tallit, that it was going to take me so long to finish that it would only be done in time for my as-yet-hypothetical children to be married under it. She said "Be careful what you wish for!" and that those kinds of "plans" had brought about the hypothetical outcome more than once. And here I am. Whatever I'm experiencing, it sure as hell isn't hypothetical.