Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Soundtrack

Somehow, my local grocery store has obtained a copy of the soundtrack to my childhood. I grew up in rural Maine in the 1970s and early 80s, and the radio stations played a lot of country and western, easy listening (often one and the same) and heavy metal. So I have powerfully nostalgic reactions to a series of rather unlikely (if you know me and my usual folkie/choral musical tastes) musical tracks, several of which have been playing recently in the Safeway:

Dolly Parton, "You Left Me (Just When I Needed You Most)"
Glen Campbell, "Rhinestone Cowboy"
John Denver, "Annie's Song"
Mary MacGregor, "Torn Between Two Lovers"
Barry Manilow, "I Write the Songs"

And so forth. The tonal demands of background music explain the absence of AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd, but otherwise I'm right back in the cab of my best friend Heather's father's truck, rocking out and sharing a Mountain Dew. Funny where we end up after so many years.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

"Torn Between Two Lovers" and "I Write the Songs" are possibly the two worst pop songs ever done.
I love the Google word verification prove-you're-an actual- human wordss.Thiss one is 'renamism.' It verges on the border of meaning.

mindy said...

Useless Trivia Moment: "I Write the Songs" is the only one of Barry Manilow's hits that he did not write. (I do not know why I know this.)