Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Geckos I have known

Chuck Norris (see below) is not so much a gecko as a member of our family. But there are other geckos that are an indispensable part of our everyday life as well:

1. The Safeway Geckos: Sun themselves on shopping carts, leap confusedly onto your hand when unexpectedly pushed into the air-conditioned store. Best removed to an outdoor tree or shrub by the nearest eight-year-old.

2. The Bicycle Geckos: Sun themselves on the tires of my bicycle, and scare the bejesus out of me when I go to get the bike to go home.

3. The Office Geckos: Laid two eggs on my windowsill last winter, which hatched into babies that promptly disappeared. I blame the mynah birds that hang out on the ledge outside.

4. The Windshield Geckos: Sun themselves unobtrusively on the car, then scurry across the glass as you drive down the street at 25 mph. Bonuses are granted for windshield wiper avoidance when it's raining. These guys stagger away once you've parked, saying "No, man, really, I'm fine..."

5. The Car Wash Gecko: Only once, so far. I found him clinging for dear life to the driver's side mirror as I parked in the lot of a Chinese restaurant just after leaving the automatic car wash.

6. The Gold Dust Day Gecko: At the old place. Mostly just sat around in the potted rosemary looking glamorous.

No comments: